Part 2 – The DeathbedFood Series: Eric Ripert on Bourdain.
Tony’s best friend pays tribute.
- The restaurant received its four-star review from The New York Times only three months after opening and is the only New York four star restaurant that has maintained its status of excellence for more than 20 years.
- It has received more James Beard Awards than any other restaurant in New York City.
- In May 2003, the James Beard Foundation named Eric Ripert “Outstanding Chef.”
- The restaurant ranks 17 on the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
- The New York Zagat Guide has consistently recognized it as top rated in the category of “Best Food” and the 2011 – 2016 editions awarded it a 29 food rating: the highest in NYC.
- In the 2012-2014, 2016 and 2017 Zagat Guides, Le Bernardin was named the Most Popular Restaurant in the city.
- Frank Bruni of The New York Times selected Le Bernardin as the “Best Meal of 2008”.
But Eric’s celebrity rose way beyond his restaurant as he became Anthony Bourdain’s best friend and partner in crime in many of Tony’s TV episodes – like this one from the ‘Marseille’ edition of Parts Unknown:
If you’ve lost a best friend or anyone close, I’m sure that your heart breaks with Eric’s. Sending love to Eric, his friends and family, and all who miss Tony.