My family has deep ties to Halibut Rosemary.
Over 10 years ago I told my parents I was going to write a food blog. Because they gave me a blank stare I explained that I would be writing about food on the Internet. Still no reaction so I told them I was going to call it “Deathbed Food”. At that, my dad lit up. He said, “I remember saying that!” and relayed a story about how my mother and he had dinner at a local restaurant (40 years ago!) where he ordered the Halibut Rosemary – after which he told my mother “This is what I want on my deathbed!” You can see the full story about how my dad is the real creator of DeathbedFood here.
Maybe I have a special affinity for this dish because I was introduced to it as a child by my dad’s gushing review. Over the years, my family developed our own recipe which is on par with any restaurant version we’ve had.
Here’s how we make it:
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a glass pan.
- Lay down sliced white onions.
- Place halibut fillets on the onions.
- Salt & pepper, garlic powder, fennel seeds and rosemary leaves on the halibut.
- Place a few more sliced onions on top.
- Drizzle olive oil as a last step.
Bake in 390 degree oven for 20 minutes.