Restaurants and Wine Lovers Can Learn from Spago.
Spago’s wine list is killer. Its wine director, Phillip Dunn, knows his wine and manages a 3,000 bottle award-winning wine selection with prices ranging from $35 to $12,000! In Patrick Comiskey’s LA Times piece about Spago’s wine program, Dunn shares some smooth tips for restauranteurs and plain ol’ wine lovers like me.
- Put your wine list on double-sided paper to make it more streamlined and less intimidating.
- Don’t forget the half-bottles. Adding more of the petit bottles will set you apart.
- Make sure your sommeliers are friendly! There may be hidden gems on the menu but most customers will never know unless they have a nice rapport with the somm.
For Wine Lovers:
- WHITES: For Summer, Dunn’s favorite white wines are from the Iberian Peninsula in Spain, like the Albillo from Bodegas Valduero called Yunquera.
- REDS: Dunn feels that Syrah is an unsung hero – especially those from Côte Rotie. He especially likes Bernard Levet’s La Chavaroche or Yves & Mathilde Gangloff’s La Barbarine.